How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 22 yr old daughter and her husband stupidly stole my disability

This answer was rated:

My 22 yr old daughter and her husband stupidly stole my disability card and spent every penny on it and left a trail of where they spent it at they spent over $580. My question is can I charge them with this and get my money back?
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Q) Can I charge them with this and get my money back?

First, I'm very sorry you're going through this situation. It might not be a surprise to have a complete stranger steal your money. But your own flesh and blood?!?! That must be very difficult to deal with.

The answer to your question is "Yes."

First, make a report to your police department. Use the non-emergency number or visit the police station in person. No need to call 911.

When you speak to or meet with a law enforcement officer, tell them the entire story why you believe your daughter and her husband stole your property. Give the police a copy of the documents or other materials you have which you believe substantiate your claim. You could also simply allow them to make copies of your documents.

The police will probably investigate, speak with your daughter, her husband, and others if necessary. If the police conclude that they have probable cause to believe that your daughter and/or her husband committed a crime, they will take out the charges for you.

If convicted, or as part of a plea agreement, your daughter and/or her husband could be ordered to pay restitution. Restitution is reimbursement for property or money that is damaged, lost, stolen, etc.

In the short term, since you are out so much money, contact the social security office and tell them about your card being stolen. Perhaps they can reimburse you so long as you are dealing with the authorities and you're pursuing charges against the people who committed the crime.

If you cannot make any headway there, ask your local prosecutor's office whether or not you qualify for victim witness assistance. Such assistance could include payment of money or other services.

I hope my response has been helpful. If you have follow-up questions or concerns on this topic, please ask. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Doing so will NOT cost you any additional fee.

Take care,
S. Huband, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again,

I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively, and I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,