How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102336
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My car was repossessed two years ago, and I was able to reinstate

Customer Question

My car was repossessed two years ago, and I was able to reinstate the loan. I have finished paying my loan in July of this year, but when I looked at my credit report it states that my loan was paid charge off. Is this legal?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  joelaws8 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for requesting me!

It sounds like the respective credit bureau(s) that are reporting the loan "charged off" have not updated your credit report since reinstating the loan.

Fortunately, there is a solution to this. The easiest way to handle it is to dispute the incorrectly reported information. At that point the credit bureau will contact the creditor, check on the status of the debt, and update your credit report.

If all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Transunion, and Experian) are incorrectly reporting this, then you will have to file 3 different disputes.

Good news....these disputes are relatively easy to make. Please click on the following credit bureau names to begin making the dispute.




I hope that answers your question. If so, please positively rate my answer as this is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

If you feel the need to click either "Bad service" or "Poor service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with the issue you have. I will be very happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek at no additional charge.

Thank you very much,

If you are a subscriber, please add me to your "Preferred Expert Team!"

If not, please CLICK HERE and bookmark that page or add it to your favorites to come back and ask me your next legal question!

444 Harris Creek Rd
Jacksonville, NC 28540444 Harris Creek Rd
Jacksonville, NC 28540
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My question clearly stated that the repo was two years ago. The credit reports have been updated since then. This was a phoned in answer and didn't help at all.

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend,

My name is Ely and I am another expert with JustAnswer. Allow me to answer your question.

No, this is not legal. However, one has to take several steps in order to "strengthen" one's position before taking any concrete action.

1) The first thing that one may wish to do is to challenge the credit reporting like your previous expert suggested. This is to simply show that this has been done. One cannot expect to have a suit (read on) without attempting to first correct any issues as dictated by law, which allows for a challenge. This is done by a "credit dispute" letter - see here.

2) The credit bureau has thirty days to investigate your dispute and respond to you, in writing, with the results of the investigation. Any data you provided about the inaccuracy of the information will be forwarded to the creditor. The creditor is then required to respond back to the bureau. Then, the bureau makes an arbitrary decision based on the evidence provided. If the bureau agrees with you, the credit history is taken off. Also, if the creditor does not respond, then the bureau makes a default decision in your favor. Once the investigation is complete, the credit bureau will provide you with the results, along with a free copy of your credit report if the dispute resulted in a change. You can request that the credit bureau send a correction notice to any company that accessed your credit report within the past six months.

3) If this is done and the credit report agencies REMOVE the false report, then one may still have a suit against the lender themselves. If this is done and the credit report agency DOES NOT REMOVE the false report, then one may have a suit against both the lender and whatever agency does not.

4) BUREAUS: Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCR), a lender has to take off any report that they know is false. For willful noncompliance with the FCR, a consumer may, under recover the greater of either actual damages or a statutory minimum of $100 to maximum of $1000, plus possible punitive damages, as well as reasonable attorney's fees and costs. For negligent non-compliance, this is actual damages, plus attorney's fees.

5) LENDER: One can sue the lender for defamation, possibly. Defamation exists when: The defendant made a false statement about the plaintiff, there was an “unprivileged” publication to a third party, fault by the defendant of “negligence” or worse, and the publication damaged the plaintiff’s reputation. One would have to show how the false reporting has hurt you.

6) Statute of limitations do apply. For a bureau, a consumer may file a suit in state or federal court to enforce the FCR intwo years from discovery of the violation or five years from the date of the violation. For defamation, the statute of defamation is one year (although if it is ongoing, the statute of limitations has not even begun to run yet).

Whether or not one wishes to take the actions above is up to them, of course. This does happen - for example, see here.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)