How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118723
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A young who does housework for me recently acquired a computer

This answer was rated:

A young who does housework for me recently acquired a computer on a rent-to-own agreement. The agreement specified he was not to pawn the computer during the length of the agreement. Well, he got into a financial bind and pawned it. The company demanded the computer back, but the pawn shop owner said he couldn't get it out of pawn because it "was in the hands of the sheriff's department. Evidently the rental company found out he pawned the computed and reported it stolen. He says he's been told if he pays the remaining balance, when a court case comes up, he will not be found guilty of anything. I think he still can be found guilty of something. What do you suggest he do at this point?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, this is theft of rental property or failure to return rental property. However, for him to be convicted the rental store has to press charges and if he pays off what is owed, they will dismiss the charges and he would not go to trial or be convicted. If they did not dismiss charges against him, then he could absolutely still be convicted, but most times they will give him a written agreement if he pays the rental place off they will agree to dismiss charges and that is the only way he would not be convicted of anything.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you