How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask joelaws8 Your Own Question
joelaws8, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 390
Experience:  I can answer general criminal law questions regarding specific statutes and procedure.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
joelaws8 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé was is trying to get removed from the offender

Customer Question

My fiancé was is trying to get removed from the sexual offender registry in Wisconsin. His case was filed in 1996 and he served his sentence in 1997. He was 19 at the time of the offense and the girl was 15. He has a nearly grown daughter who suffered greatly because this is on his record (Ex: her friend's parents would not allow sleepovers at our house) and we are currently thinking of of having kids of our own, but do not want them to go through that as well. He is disabled and I have no experience with legal matters. Please, help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this Legal topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had found an answer or if you still needed assistance from one of our professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still need help

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Expert:  joelaws8 replied 3 years ago.

Hello, my name is Joe. I am a licensed attorney and I will be helping you find the answer that you are looking for.

I am very sorry to hear that your family is going through such a tough situation.

I just need some more information first.

1.) Was he on supervision or probation?

2.) If so, when did this end?

3.) Was he convicted in Wisconsin?

4.) What offense was he convicted of?

I look forward to assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He was on probation. We need to go to the courthouse to get the exact dates, I will let you know when we have them. He was convicted in Wisconsin. According to the sexual offender database: 948.02(2): Second-Degree Sexual Assault of a Child with a conviction date of 12/08/1997

Expert:  joelaws8 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

According to Wisconsin law, he should be released from his registration requirements 15 years after he is discharged from supervision or probation, whichever is later.

CLICK HERE for the actual text of the law.

I hope that answers your question. If so, please positively rate my answer as this is the only way I can receive credit for my answer. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

If you feel the need to click either "Bad service" or "Poor service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with the issue you have. I will be very happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek at no additional charge.

Thank you very much,

If you are a subscriber, please add me to your "Preferred Expert Team!"

If not, please CLICK HERE and bookmark that page or add it to your favorites to come back and ask me your next legal question!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, after the 15 years does it go away on it's own, or do we have to do something? The database lists him as a life registrant. Which he says is incorrect because they told him 15 years at the time of the sentence. And does any of this do anything with the felony part of the conviction or is there another process to remove that?