How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118188
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A complaint was filed against me at work for what I thought

This answer was rated:

A complaint was filed against me at work for what I thought was a reactionary considerate gesture. In the process of doing my job working along side my coworker as walked around her I had noticed that her debit card was about to fall out of her back pocket ,it was literally in her pocket by one corner ,as I passed by I simply pushed it further into her pocket with my index finger and at no time did I touch any part of her body, as I did this I stated to her your debit card was about o fall out. Prior to this the same coworker had me apply a band aid to a blister in the center of her back at her belt line because she could not see it. I have observed her receiving hugs from other men in our workplace and engaging in dirty jokes as well. while I didn't think of these things when this occurred as I thought it was a gesture to help someone from suffering the stresses of losing there debit card . Now after the fact considering her observed behavior in the past why would this be a big deal .
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for your educational purposes only.

This is a sad commentary on the workplace today, but unfortunately in the current climate with people complaining even when someone sneezes because they have become overly sensitive, even the most minor one time gesture can lead to workplace issues.

A single instance of conduct or isolated comment is not legally sexual harassment. In fact, you had a very non-sexual reason for the conduct and it was neither an unlawful touching or sexual harassment and you are going to have to express that clearly to HR. You should NOT attack her workplace behavior, but you should mention she has asked you in the past about putting the band aid on her back and this was merely done to prevent her from losing property and you need to maintain you did not actually touch her, you touched her debit card that was falling from her pocket.

IF they were to try to terminate you over this, you would have at least grounds to challenge their investigation as negligent and that one isolated incident does not create sexual harassment.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you