How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for an order for protection and also asked for restitution

This answer was rated:

I filed for an order for protection and also asked for restitution (filed with the OFP) for the damage my ex-wife caused to my vehicle ($3K). She admitted to causing the vehicle damage but denied the assault on me. The judge ruled it insufficient evidence of the domestic abuse and did not order the OFP but never addressed the restitution. Is restitution normally a different hearing?

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : No, restitution isn't usually addressed in a separate hearing. Its likely that the court just overlooked the restitution issue when deciding the matter. Thus, you would likely need to file a motion to clarify the court's order.
Roger : In the motion, you can state that the court heard evidence on the restitution matter, but failed to provide anything in its order regarding that issue.
Roger : Then you can ask the court to issue a supplemental order addressing restitution.
Roger and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you