Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How do i know if my lawyer is looking out for my best interest

Customer Question

How do i know if my lawyer is looking out for my best interest or just trying to make money.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Hello friend. My name is Ely, and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry about your situation. This is a very open-ended question. Can you please tell me a little more about your situation?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am concerned the lawyer I met just wanted to get the 1500 retainer

and go golfing. I didn't feel as if he was really going to fight for my rights.I am accused of aggravated domestic. The question is how do I know that I chose the right one that has my best interests in mind?

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Friend,

What state is this in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tennessee

Expert:  Ely replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, friend.

Okay, I understand. Well an attorney is doing this for money - let us be frank. This is their job. They agree to provide a service (of legal representation) in exchange for payment.

So in the end - yes - they are doing this for money. And every attorney you retain will do this (on some level or another) for money. Even the one you get appointed in Court if you cannot afford another attorney - they are doing this for money too. Simply, the system pays them.

Every profession is for money. After all, a surgeon is not performing surgery for the good of humanity either - they are doing it for the money. So does your postal delivery person. Or your CPA. That is just how the world works. Now, just because they are doing this for money does not mean that they would do a bad job. It is in their interest to do a good job because a good job in their profession generally translates into advancement and/or more money, and some people also genuinely care.

The question is how do I know that I chose the right one that has my best interests in mind?

Vet them. May I recommend the TN Bar referral program by county - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

When you talk to an attorney, you can ask them questions that can help you find one that fits you, such as:

-have you had these kinds of cases before?
-what were their outcomes?
-how long have you been licensed (5+ years is best)?
-do you have a certification/specialization in criminal law?
-what do you think is the best part of my case?
-the weakest?
-how long do you think this will take?
-what do you need from me to begin?
-how much will this cost? Can I have this in writing?

This way, you should be able to find an attorney you can trust.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)