How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27129
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been on a leave of absense from work and dui classes well

This answer was rated:

I've been on a leave of absense from work and dui classes well yesterday i was told that i was dropped from the class..they sent a letter stating that i was goin to get dropped to an old address i lived two years now im forced to drive on a suspended licience. Have 8or less months to go


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a criminal lawyer.


What US state is this all taking place in?

Use the reply tab below to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Susanville ...lassen county..California

There's no such thing as being "forced to drive on a suspended license." You are presently not entitled to drive at all. If you're stopped for any reason the fact that you don't have a license will turn up along with the fact that you have not finished your DUI requirements. The result of this will be a criminal charge and an additonal period of suspension on top of your present suspension. The new case can get you a minimum of 5 days in jail, but could be as many as 6 months and the fine as well could be up to $3,000.

You need to get to the DMV and comply with their protocol to reinstate your license. You may be able to get a restricted license in the interim. But what you can't do is drive. It's no defense that the notice went to the wrong place if you know now that you have a suspended license and keep driving.

If the DMV turns you down on any of this, you'd need to contact a lawyer and appeal their decision.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions