Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

How long can the police keep people out of their house because

How long can the police keep people out of their house because they are waiting on search warrant?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I arrived homeand my family is outside. We have been waiting out here for 6 hrs they won't let us back in the house. They said they are waitin to hear from ajudge for asearch warrantII

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

This means that police has probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed or that there are some type of illegal items or evidence of crime in your house and generally the police can keep the occupants of the house outside of the house for up to 24 hours, while actively seeking and waiting for a search warrant to be issued.

I would suggest that neither you or family members make any statements to the police and consult with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, since anything that you say to the police can be used against you and also police might try to coerce you into giving them a consent to search your house without a warrant.

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WE gave consent to search. We have nothin to hide and they still haven't searched. We just want to go to sleep. what can happen if we go inside? My grandpa sick and my baby needs to go to sleep. Is there anything wecan do? Its 12am here.g

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you give a written consent to a search?

Do you know what is police looking for and what happened that lead to this situation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No written consent and the individual is athe station being questioned for whatever reason they think he is involved in. The individual stays at this house sometimes which is why they want to search it. Will we get arrested for going inside and going 2 sleep?a

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

It would not be a good idea for you to go back to the house, if police is preventing you from returning to your house, since you can be arrested for disorderly conduct, obstruction of justice or if there is an altercation with the police, even for an assault on a police officer, so generally the best thing would be to call a local criminal defense attorney, many criminal defense attorneys take phone calls 24/7 due to emergency nature of their work and also you can request for the police to have a police supervisor respond to your house, so you can ask him if you can bring the family into the house for the purposes of getting some sleep and some rest.

I wish you the best of luck!
Dear XXXXX,

Do you have any related follow up questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Numbers lawyers?

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The individual in question isn't under arrest. Are they still able to keep us out?

Dear XXXXX,

Yes. As long as, police believe that a crime was committed or there are some illegal items / evidence of crime that need to be preserved until the search warrant is obtained and police is in a process of obtaining this search warrant and simply waiting for a judge or the magistrate to review the facts stated in the affidavit submitted to obtain a search warrant and to either issue a warrant or make a decision not to issue a warrant.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how long can They a Hold someone for questioning

Dear Maria,

Thank you for your follow up.

Is the person under arrest?

What is this person being questioned about?