How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118166
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

prosecutor wants to meet up with me to press charges on my

This answer was rated:

prosecutor wants to meet up with me to press charges on my wife. should i speak or plead the 5th
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. Can you please tell me if you want to have your wife charged, or, you are attempting to prevent it? Keep in mind, I do not have the background as to what has happened unless you tell me.

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its a dv charge i am the victim argument she accidentally hit me made me mad called the cops wich was a wrong move gave a statement now they want to prosecute i want charges dropped but they say its not up to me she has no priors can u plz help

Thank you for your question. I see you opted out your previous expert, who was merely asking you a question to get some additional information. I am a different contributor looking to provide you information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the laws, domestic violence cases are a bit different than other criminal cases in that on a DV case, the state is the actual victim in the case and you are merely the complaining witness. What this means is that while you can tell the DA you do not want to prosecute the case and can even give the DA an "affidavit of non-prosecution," which is a sworn statement you do not want to prosecute, ultimately you do not have the final say because the state is the victim and you are really only a witness.

In a DV case, the DA can prosecute without your testimony if they choose as long as they have sufficient other evidence to support the charges. Thus, even though you can refuse to testify in the case, ultimately the DA has the right to continue to pursue the case.

You can simply refuse to cooperate with the case and tell the DA you are not testifying. The DA can subpoena you and if the DA wants to play hardball, which most do not want to do, he can try to force you to testify and you could take the 5th on the basis that if you recant your statements in the case it could incriminate you for filing a false report, usually it will not get that far though and the DA will ultimately dismiss these cases.

However, you should get your wife an attorney if he refuses to dismiss when you tell him you will not testify and then work with her attorney on the case to seek to get it dismissed.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118166
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Did you have any follow up questions I could assist you with?