How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116727
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a ex felon that was released on June 24, 2013 Im expired

This answer was rated:

Im a ex felon that was released on June 24, 2013 I'm expired and did every day of my time. I have been writing a friend that is still incarcerated, as of 9/31/2013 NDOC is saying my mail is inmate to inmate and unauthorized my mail. Can they do that? I am not under parole and never was. I thought I was free. Should I contact the warden? What should I do? Im currently a collage student and doing great if it wasn't for my friend I made in there, my move to collage may not have been possible so quick.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

While you are free from your sentence, the person who is still incarcerated is not. This means the prison through the warden can make the rules about what mail or contact the current inmate can have. While you have the freedom to communicate with whomever you like, the inmate has no such freedom and the warden of the prison has the right to control who a current inmate has contact with, even though you are not currently on parole or a current inmate and they argue this is for security reasons over which the warden has complete discretion.

Thus, your sole complaint on this would be a plea to the warden of the prison to allow you to communicate with the current inmate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you