Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
11217539

Can non violent felon convicted of 3 felony DWIs from 1988

Customer Question

Can non violent felon convicted of 3 felony DWIs from 1988 through 1991 ? Not that it matters but I have since grown up and no longer indulge in such activities, I now have a family and responsibilities
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
My name is Nate. I have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

I think some of your question got cut off. What would you like to do having 3 felony DWI's on your record?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I legally own a fire arm
Expert:  Nate replied 4 years ago.
You would need to get your civil rights restored under state law. Once that occurs, you would be entitled under federal law to possess a firearm.

Instructions regarding the process in Texas can be found here

http://www.nacdl.org/uploadedFiles/files/resource_center/2012_restoration_project/state_narr_tx.pdf

Though federal law says that you can lawfully possess a firearm if your civil rights are restored by the state, Congress has not funded the particular department at the ATF that restores gun rights. You still may not be able to pass a federal background check because there is no one there to update the database.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!