How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33529
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So here is my question I dont know if Im legal to own a gun

This answer was rated:

So here is my question I don't know if I'm legal to own a gun or not. This uncertainty arises from Child support issues (Texas) I had in the past. This was a situation that went on for many years and at one point I had probation which I satisfied satisfactorily and in the end All monies have been paid and any probation has been completed and finished. As I understand it the whole thing was supposed to be deferred adjudication. So now I'm unsure about buying a firearm and how to find out if I can buy a firearm. Do I need to get an attorney to determine this for me or can I just make the application to purchase a firearm and find out if the background check comes back negative or approved.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.

If you have been convicted of a felony, even if you successfully completed probation, you would be in violation of federal law if you purchased or possessed a firearm.

Whether you pass a background check or not is irrelevant if you are otherwise disqualified under federal law.

Generally, child support issues should not preclude the purchase of a firearm and you are not violating the law if you ask the dealer to run a background check for eligibility.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information. I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you. I am here for you.

Since this forum is no substitute for your own legal counsel, be sure to verify the information I have provided with a local attorney who is familiar with your local laws and procedures.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction.

Thank you.

Loren and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "Loren" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Ronald, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please consider rating me highly (10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.

Related Criminal Law Questions