How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118166
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The new SB260 in California allows people like my son who have

This answer was rated:

The new SB260 in California allows people like my son who have served 15 years on a determinate sentence and who were juveniles who were tried as adults to get a Youth Offender Board Hearing. The law takes effect on January 1, 2014 and the backlog of already qualified inmates must be caught up on by July 1, 2015.
My questions are, will hiring a lawyer get his hearing closer to the early date? What type of petition would the lawyer file (Do they even have the paper work)? And what price range does a lawyer charge for filing such a petition (separate from participating in the board hearing)? Thank you.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

These petitions are heard by the board based on a first filed basis. Using a criminal defense attorney to file the petition for early release hearing with the Board, which is what your son has to file even if he does not have an attorney, MIGHT save a month or two as the attorney might be able to get the board to fit you son into an opening from a cancellation, but in general that does not often happen as they simply schedule these matters on a first come first serve basis. An attorney will usually charge anywhere from $1500-$3000, depending on how much experience the attorney has.

There is no court pleading though that can be filed to make the board hear a case any sooner I am sorry to state, the board has the discretion and right to set their own schedules.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you