Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can I get hunting/gun rights back after a felony conviction

older than 15 years? And...
Can I get hunting/gun rights back after a felony conviction older than 15 years? And all my rights ?
9/29/2013
Nate, Lawyer
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

That depends. What kind of felony conviction is it?

Possession of Dangerous Drugs, A Class 4 Felony

Theft, A Class 3 Felony

No incidents since released from probation 2000

You would need to get your civil rights restored under state law. Once that occurs, you would be entitled under federal law to possess a firearm.

Each county has a form that you can use, like this one

http://clerkofcourt.maricopa.gov/faxondemand/300.pdf

Though federal law says that you can lawfully possess a firearm if your civil rights are restored by the state, Congress has not funded the particular department at the ATF that restores gun rights. You still may not be able to pass a federal background check because there is no one there to update the database.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Thanks!
Nate, Lawyer
Nate, Lawyer