How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10686
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of making an indecent proposal to a child in

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of making an indecent proposal to a child in Oklahoma in 1997. I was a Registered Sex Offender in Oklahoma where I have lived all along and live now. Yesterday I received a letter from the Oklahoma Department of Corrections notifying me I have been removed from the Oklahoma Sex Offender Registery because of a recent Oklahoma Supreme Court Decision.

I visit Illinois from time to time and have considered moving there. I am not required to register as a sex offender in Illinois. Illinois has recently passed a law to keep sex offenders out of parks. Would I be allowed to go to parks in Illinois?

Thank you for your answer.
Will F. Decker
Norman, OK
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

Whether you can legally go to parks in Illinois depends on your conviction. What was the underlying conviction that originally put you on the registry?

Let me know the above and I will get right back with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Indecent Proposal to a child. I invited a 14-year-old boy to come to my apartment.

Okay. That would not fall under the exception to the Illinois law. You would be prohibited from going to parks in Illinois. If you are caught in a park you would be charged with a misdemeanor.

As an aside, congratulations on getting off of the Oklahoma registry. Many people are finding that difficult to do even with the new supreme court decision.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you