Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I worked for a company for 5 years. The first 2 years I worked

for one boss and then...
I worked for a company for 5 years. The first 2 years I worked for one boss and then moved up in the company and worked for another department but for the same company. This past month, my previous boss (whom I worked for the first 2 years of my employment with this company but not the remaining 3 years) was found embezzling LOTS of money. Everyone that worked under him or with him, or had any part in the banks audit was fired from the company. We were questioned and I was released because I worked under him. The investigators at the time did still fire me, but I had no knowledge of the theft. I have no knowledge of any money stolen and I have no knowledge of dates, amounts, etc and I have no knowledge of any indication that this certain individual was doing wrong.
An FBI agent contacted me for an interview about this certain instance. My question is, even though I was released from the bank for whatever reason they decided, they did not release me in being an accomplice or having knowledge of, etc for this instance.
I am 100% innocent on the matter at hand. However, I am of course worried being questioned by an FBI agent and seeing how this case is strong enough to even be under FBI investigation. This person and I had a personal relationship outside of the bank, and with our fellow bankers.

Do I need a lawyer for the interview (he decided a public place is this okay)? What do I need to do even though I guarantee I have no knowledge of this instance, do I need a lawyer regardless of my innocence?
9/26/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer:

Yes I am

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am very sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

The answer your question is resounding YES

Alex J. Esq. :

This is an extremely serious situation and you are a person of interest in a major federal felony embezzlement case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, anything that you say to this FBI agent will only be used against you.

Alex J. Esq. :

So, you do need to consult and retain an experienced local federal criminal defense attorney and have this attorney present during any questioning by the FBI

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

He came to my door and I was at work. He told my father "I wasn't in trouble" but he wanted to talk about the "innocent" that occured at the company that I worked for. I honestly have no knowledge or nothing to hide, but that is why I am seeking legal advice.

Customer:

I did call him back yesterday, and he was hesitate to talk to me at my house or "anywhere that people may recognize me" but wanted to meet at a starbucks.

Alex J. Esq. :

We do not provide any type of legal advice or service, as the service is limited to legal experts such as myself providing customers with general answers to the customer's legal question. Legal advice or service can only be obtained from your local attorney.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you understand and want me to continue with my general answer to your question?

Customer:

Yes, I absolutely understand that this conversation has no legal right to me, and you are only answering a general question so I can seek further legal advice.

Alex J. Esq. :

thank you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Please understand that you can never believe or rely on anything FBI or any other law enforcement is telling you in order to extract information and statements from you, as their only goal is to build a criminal case.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes it does

Alex J. Esq. :

It would be extremely important for someone in your situation to consult and hire a local federal criminal defense attorney as soon as possible and not say anything to FBI or anyone else without having this local criminal defense attorney present.

Alex J. Esq. :

A local attorney can make sure that you would be granted immunity, which means that anything that you tell FBI can never be used against you in the criminal trial.

Customer:

Then anything irrelevant to the case can be used against me, basically

Customer:

and if i interview with him without a lawyer that would be difficult to then turn around and hire a lawyer afterword?

Alex J. Esq. :

Correct!

Alex J. Esq. :

Anything you say can be twisted to be used against you or people that might be innocent like you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Alex J. Esq. :

You can find an experienced local federal criminal defense attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer:

Yes unfortunately it makes too much sense. I appreciate the guidance, and thank you for your excellent answer.

Alex J. Esq. :

Just remember this:

Alex J. Esq. :

Someone in your type of situation is under no legal obligation to talk to FBI or other law enforcement!

Alex J. Esq. :

Also you have the right to hire legal counsel to protect your rights.

Customer:

Thank you Alex

Alex J. Esq. :

Also, under federal law, any lie to a federal agent carries a penalty of up to 5 years in federal prisons and federal agents have been using this law a lot, to gain leverage over people of interest who might have simply misspoken or confused some facts, without any intentions to lie...

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately, I can't stress enough of how serious this situation is and I do believe that you are innocent, but nonetheless you do want to protect your rights in this serious criminal investigation.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

One more question, Even if he asks a question that has no relavance to the case? Like have I done illegal drugs in the past 5 years? Something not related but whatever reason they have to ask.

Alex J. Esq. :

They can ask you anything the want and that is why you would want a local attorney who would advice you whether to answer the question or not and also will instruct you on what you should questions you should answer and when you should decline to answer.

Customer:

Okay, great thank you.

Alex J. Esq. :

You have the right under the 5th Amendment to the US Constitution not to answer any questions that would incriminate you in any way.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law