Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What are the penalties for reckless driving?

9/20/2013
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

In Virginia, a reckless driving conviction is a class I misdemeanor. The potential penalties include jail time, suspension of driving privileges, and a fine of up to $2,500.00. Additionally, a conviction will result in six demerit points on your Virginia driver’s license. Some other states have reciprocity agreements with Virginia, meaning a Virginia reckless driving conviction may appear on your driving record even if you live in a different state. You may have to explain that misdemeanor conviction at inconvenient times throughout your life, such as when applying for a job or security clearance.

ScottyMacEsq :

A person charged with reckless driving, if they show that their actions, while they do show insufficient care or failure to properly operate a vehicle, but are not truly serious enough to reach the level of reckless driving, may instead be convicted by the court of the lesser included offense of improper driving which is a much less serious offense, and is not a criminal conviction. This potential reduction in level of offense is only available at trial, as a law enforcement officer can only write a traffic ticket for reckless driving, they do not have the ability to write a ticket for improper driving.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer