How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102185
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a conviction on 2001 in rockville virginia fairfax GD If i

This answer was rated:

a conviction on 2001 in rockville virginia fairfax GD
If i want a complete record of this case
what should i be able to get, please be detail

how can i get it

how long does it take
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Would this be your record, or someone else's?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for a friend but the court said that the case is destroyed

do you know how might i get it?

Yes, possibly. Can you please tell me specifically what COUNTY this matter took place in? Fairfax?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Arlington Circuit

Thank you.

There are three ways.

Court File
To get a copy of the court file for the matter, one can contact the "records" department of the 17th Judicial Circuit of Virginia by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNand asking for the "records" department. Expect to be transferred a few times and/or given another number to call.

Once one gets to the records department, copies of a court file for particular case may be ordered for a nominal fee. There may be a form that needs to be sent in as well. Some clerks need an individual to come in. However, many will do this over the telephone. This is public information, and should be available to anyone at request and a small fee.

Police Record
Under the open records act, one can request records from a state agency including authorities. This is done via a certified letter. A wizard-letter creator for VA may be found here (simply send in the blanks). Also, see here. Do expect to seem some blacked out parts, however.

Official Record
Finally, an official criminal record of the individual may be requested from the FBI. This is called a Summary Check. See here.

Between these three actions, one should get all the record on the matter that exists. I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE and submit your rating when we are finished.
Ely and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your gratuity.

PS - there is one more entity which may have a part of the file - the prosecutor for Arlington's County:

This entity may also be petitioned using the open records act!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you know how long does it take to from the date of requesting to receive it

I am afraid I do not. Requesting from the Court (if there is anything, since they state the file was destroyed) is rather quickly. The FBI can take a few weeks. The freedom of information requests can also take a few weeks. It varies.