Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a boyfriend in jail whom I have met and dated before

Customer Question
his incarceration about 7 years...
I have a boyfriend in jail whom I have met and dated before his incarceration about 7 years ago. He has never asked me for money and, over the years, I have visited him on and off. He claims that he was granted parole to a 'halfway house' or something similar - I cannot recall the exact description. I could see through the parole board site that he did have a hearing, however, I am not allowed to receive information about the hearing outcome. Because several months have passed since he has been granted parole and the stories are turning into repeat 'rejections' from the various facilities to which his case manager has applied, I am beginning to doubt that parole was actually granted. Is there a way to find out if he has truly been granted parole without divulging my identify?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
9/18/2013
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 4 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

You mention that you have tried Parole's site. Have you tried Colorado's Department of Corrections Inmate Locator? If he is still in prison in Colorado, you should be able to find him here. (See link)

Failing that, if you know the county where he was supposedly paroled to, you could call parole, find out his parole officer and ask where he was paroled to. I don't see why you'd have to give your name, but, of course, they might ask.

Thank you Fran

He's not lost - I know exactly where he is (in prison) and I check the inmate locator regularly. That's why I'm reaching out for your assistance. I talk to him almost weekly. Perhaps I should word this differently... How do I find out the outcome of his parole hearing if the parole board does not provide hearing transcripts or any information to family or friends? What I am saying is that I don't know if he is telling the truth about his parole hearing outcome. How do I find out without revealing my identity - this can actually cause additional problems.

Thanks. I misunderstood. It looked as if you were saying that he was telling you that he was out but you believed he was still in prison.

I'm sorry, but the minutes of the hearing and the decision, like his parole file itself, are not a matter of public record. You would have t try to contact his parole officer or his lawyer if he was represented at the hearing. Neither have to tell you much. If you're the complainant on his case, which I doubt or you would not have been able to visit him, then you could get the information from the DA or from Victim's Services.

Failing that, the only other thing you can do is to upon what he tells you.

I will opt out of this in case someone else has any other better ideas. I wish you good luck!
Criminal Lawyer: LawyerLady07, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 4 years ago
LawyerLady07
LawyerLady07, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Also, did you actual try looking your boyfriend up in the inmate locator on the DOC website?

http://www.doc.state.co.us/oss/index.php?ref=home

I know you know where he is. But if you search his name through the locator, it will provide you with information like, (1) when he's eligible for parole, (2) his estimated parole hearing date, and (3) his estimated release date.

If he's already been paroled, then the information on the locator might indicate if/when he's scheduled to be released.

LawyerLady07
LawyerLady07
LawyerLady07, Criminal Defense Lawyer