How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27119
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was arrested for trespassing in Florida on Spring Break.

This answer was rated:

My son was arrested for trespassing in Florida on Spring Break. We live in New jersey and just received a letter to pay a fine however they are also requiring he submit his fingerprints. Where do i go to get the fingerprints and the paper signed to send the check and pay the fine. also if we pay the fine to the court there does this go on his record?

Hi, and thank you very much for requesting me.

From what I see, trespass in Florida is a misdemeanor of the second degree. That would mean that if he pays the fine he would give himself a criminal record because it would give him a criminal conviction. Your local police could probably print him, but I don't think I'd be so quick to have him settle this up.

If this is a misdemeanor, I'd see what a FL lawyer could do with this. Maybe he could get it dismissed without your son having to come down to Florida. Or maybe he could get it expunged or sealed if he did pay the fine and keep it off of his record. He would appear to be eligible for such an expungement if he does plead guilty but it's discretionary and takes time, (see link) so it's better if the conviction will never happen.

In any case, I think it worth a call to a Florida criminal lawyer to see if he can get something better than a misdmeanor out of this. You could call the Florida State Bar Association's Legal Referral Service and for a fee of around $50 they will match you with a lawyer and give you a free consultation which you can have by telephone.

Zoey_ JD and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you