Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

what is a class t misdemeanor?

what is a class t misdemeanor?
9/16/2013
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

A class T would be a driving-related matter involving the Virginia Traffic Code rather than a criminal offense that was located in the regular Virginia penal code.

What kind of penalties does it carry?

HI Joseph,

What was the name of the offense for which you were cited? Is there a Traffic code section of law on the ticket?

Use the reply tab below.

Yes 46.2-104 and 46.2-1054

Hi.

46.2-104 is driving without registration or without a license. Here's the statute:

§ 46.2-104. Possession of registration cards; exhibiting registration card and licenses; failure to carry license or registration card.

The operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer being operated on the highways in the Commonwealth, shall have in his possession: (i) the registration card issued by the Department or the registration card issued by the state or country in which the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer is registered, and (ii) his driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit.

The owner or operator of any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer shall stop on the signal of any law-enforcement officer who is in uniform or shows his badge or other sign of authority and shall, on the officer's request, exhibit his registration card, driver's license, learner's permit, or temporary driver's permit and write his name in the presence of the officer, if so required, for the purpose of establishing his identity.

Every person licensed by the Department as a driver or issued a learner's or temporary driver's permit who fails to carry his license or permit, and the registration card for the vehicle which he operates, shall be guilty of a traffic infraction and upon conviction punished by a fine of ten dollars. However, if any person summoned to appear before a court for failure to display his license, permit, or registration card presents, before the return date of the summons, to the court a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, or appears pursuant to the summons and produces before the court a license or permit issued to him prior to the time the summons was issued or a registration card, as the case may be, he shall, upon payment of all applicable court costs, have complied with the provisions of this section.

46.2-1054 involves an obstructed view:

§ 46.2-1054. Suspension of objects or alteration of vehicle so as to obstruct driver's view.

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle on a highway in the Commonwealth with any object or objects, other than a rear view mirror, sun visor, or other equipment of the motor vehicle approved by the Superintendent, suspended from any part of the motor vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's clear view of the highway through the windshield, the front side windows, or the rear window, or to alter a passenger-carrying vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view through the windshield. However, this section shall not apply (i) when the driver's clear view of the highway through the rear window is obstructed if such motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side, so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, (ii) to safety devices installed on the windshields of vehicles owned by private waste haulers or local governments and used to transport solid waste, or (iii) to bicycle racks installed on the front of any bus operated by any city, county, transit authority, or transit or transportation district.

According to Virginia's Uniform fine schedules, section 1054 has a $30 fine and a $62 processing fee. This would be an infraction prepayable offense.

Driving on a suspended license, however, would be a misdemeanor which would have a maximum possible sentence of a year in jail and a fine of $2,500.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD