Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Hello. My name isXXXXX 1997 I was accused of

Hello. My name isXXXXX 1997...

Hello. My name isXXXXX 1997 I was accused of grand theft. The case was dismissed but is still in my background. ( I checked in the court-have papers to confirm). Other cases are still existing as felonies, and they suppose to be misdemeanors. These mistakes cost me my job. How do I correct this ? Thank you. Regards. Eva.

9/11/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation, Eva.

In 1997 I was accused of grand theft. The case was dismissed but is still in my background.

If the case was dismissed, one may wish to file to have it expunged. This allows one to "seal" the records and they would not be seen by a private employer. It also allows one to state that they have never been arrested for that crime. See here. As you can see, this involves filing an application.

I can provide the information, but JustAnswer experts cannot file any documents for you. May I recommend the FL Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP. One can even file this without an attorney.

As for the felonies that are supposed to be misdemeanors, this is a little more complicated and an attorney is necessary. Someone in your situation would need to file a pleading called nunc pro tunc and ask the Court to correct the record, which it would then do. Then, it should properly reflect the convictions as misdemeanors, and not felonies.

I hope this helps and clarifies.

If finances are an issue, I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory/florida.html

…and another list:

http://www.lawhelp.org

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

http://www.hg.org/law-schools-florida.asp

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law