How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 yr old son was caught shoplifting tonight at Walmart,

This answer was rated:

My 16 yr old son was caught shoplifting tonight at Walmart, the police was called. And he was release to me. We will have to go to court. I am at a loss and not sure what would happen or if we need to contact an attorney.
What could happen to my son?

Samuel II :

Hello and welcome

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be providing you the information you request today in this regard

Please tell me what was the value of the items that were shoplifted?

Customer: Between him and his friend it was $42
Customer: His friend was arrested because he was 17 but my son was sent home with me
Samuel II :

Thank you

The crime is a misdemeanor. And I suggest that because he is a minor, and if this is his first offense, then there would not be any type of juvenile detention.

Samuel II :

I suggest that the penalty is up to 1 year in jail but because he is a minor there would more than likely be a probation and a fine

Samuel II :

The fine will not exceed $1000

Customer: Would this go on his record?
Samuel II :

I suggest that you will want to consult with a local attorney and if you cannot afford a private attorney, then reach out to the Public Defender

Customer: Will do, thank you
Samuel II :

I suggest that because your son is young, you would want to see if the local attorney or Public Defender can work with the District Attorney to have it removed from his record at the end of his probatio

Samuel II :

You're welcome and good luck

Samuel II and 5 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you