How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118701
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First offense PA driver got DUI back in 2011, served his jail

This answer was rated:

First offense PA driver got DUI back in 2011, served his jail time was released from Bradford Co. on 05/24/12 surrendered his license after jail release for what he thought was the 1 year suspension. He completed all terms of probation, got the completion letter sent to PennDot from Bradford County stating ALL TERMS of sentencing met. He had never heard from PennDot, so he checked and they are saying he never surrended license, although he turned it in to Bradford County post jail release on or about 05/24/12, but they can't find a receipt in their records for it, so they are saying he has not served the 1 year suspended license part, yet he has and is past ready to get his license re-instated. He filled out a form acknowledging that he turned said license in on 05/24/12, but they are saying the suspension will start now FOR ANOTHER YEAR!! What can he do if THEY LOST HIS LICENSE AND/OR RECEIPT?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, he is going to have to file an appeal with PennDOT and will have to provide proof the license was surrendered to Bradford County, but without that proof, such as an officer testifying it was surrendered, I am afraid PennDOT will not budge without some proof other than his word, because the law says the license must be physically turned in to PennDOT for the suspension to be valid. He has a right though to an administrative hearing and he needs to file for one, since many times the county officers will appear and testify that it is their process to take licenses post jail release and if they testify to that, then he can convince the administrative hearing officer that this was an error on the part of the county and he had no license to physically surrender. Thus, the only thing he can do is ask for an administrative hearing and provide some evidence or testimony to support his contention it as turned in.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you