How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27585
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First time offense ,can I get a pro bono lawyer for dui and

This answer was rated:

First time offense ,can I get a pro bono lawyer for dui and felony possession there are extenuating circumstances
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. Have you been arraigned yet on the charge and/or appeared before the court yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Did you ask to be appointed the public defender? If so and you were denied, was it a result of you not being able to qualify financially?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got a public appointed to me but nervous because everyone says they are paid by the state so why would they work hard to get it plead out.

While they are paid by the State, they are hired to represent your legal interest. If they failed to do this and did not work hard and represent your legal interest, they could be subject to discipline and even lose their license and get fired for their job. Their loyalty should be to you, as the client, not the State. If you do not want the PD representing you, then you would need to retain private counsel. Every attorney is encouraged to take cases pro bono, so you would need to contact the criminal defense attorneys in your area, advise them of the situation and see if they would take the case. It is at the discretion of the attorney to take the case pro bono, so the circumstances which you have, can certainly be used to persuade them to help you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one more question in the state of NV first time possession charge felony and then DUI do you think they would drop the felony charge or could you give me a scenario no prior record on anything .

Both charges were obtained at the same time? By that I mean you were stopped for the DUI and that is when they found the drugs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live on a private street they had road blocked walked up to them to see if I could get by, that's when they smelled alcohol and asked if I had been drinking said had couple beers they detained me for an hour out there then did a breath test. then took me in did blood test then and that's when they found it. I had borrowed a friend money he paid me back but wrapped some stuff in the money and wanting to get home paid no attention that he had done that shoved it in pocket so I could get home I live half a block from bar.

In order for the felony to be dropped or amended, the State is going to have to have a legal basis to support it. Moreover, your attorney will want to look over the facts of the case and see if you have any defenses to raise, which could be favorable to the case and a resolution. Moreover, if drugs were involved and you are a first time offender, you could see if the State would be willing to offer a diversion/drug court program for the possession, which may allow for the charge to be amended to dismissed and then you take a plea to the DUI. This would be something that would need to be worked out with the State, if possible. I do not think they will just drop the charges but I think a plea deal could result in minimum penalties being imposed and likely keep you out of having to serve any jail time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have any advise for questions that I should ask my PD. Thank you

Ask them about any type of diversion which may be offered to keep your record as clean as possible and after they look over the facts of the case, see if they think you have any legal defenses or if there is a basis to suppress any evidence.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions