How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118765
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a California register offender currently registered

This answer was rated:

I am a California register sex offender currently registered and not on probation or parole. I am planning a trip to an event in Wendover, Utah for approximately 9 days and need to understand the state and SORNA requirements. It is vacation oriented and I will not be relocating. I will stay in West Wendover, Nevada each night and cross over into Utah for the day each day. Nevada requires registration within 48 hours, but since I leave the sate each day I wonder if I have to register in West Wendover Nevada. The state line passes through town. I believe Utah requires ten days so I don't think I have to register there because I come and go each day for a week and never stay overnight. Can you shed any light on this. I follow all laws but they are so confusing you can never tell when you are violating something. I am thinking that since I go in and out of the sate each day it constitutes anew arrival and the 48 hour requirement for Nevada starts over, but maybe not since I will remain registered at a hotel the whole time.Thanks very much for your expertise

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Nevada law requires you to register within 48 hours of your arrival in the state, even if for vacation. Thus, if you are staying in Nevada, even if you are traveling into Utah each day, you would have to register with the local sheriff or police department.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry , not sure if I need to repeat this. the site is asking me to rate or reply. I think I already did , but see no indication of it. So...


Does registration with the Wendover PD satisfy all SORNA requirements and if I understand it correctly, I don't have to do anything for Utah since I leave each day.

It appears your rating did not go through, please try again.

Yes, if you are not staying in UT, then you register in NV as you are making only day trips to UT.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you