Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I live in Rockville, Maryland. Today I was driving in a 30mph

speed limit area. A policeman...
I live in Rockville, Maryland. Today I was driving in a 30mph speed limit area. A policeman stopped my car and told me you were driving 46mph and I answered I didn't mention, but I know I didn't drive fast, he confirmed that it wasn't fast but it was higher than speed limit. He lowered the speed to 39 and gave me payable fine of $80.
Now I have 3 options: a- pay b-request a waiver hearing c- request a trial
I don't know which option to choose (between a and b) here are my questions:
1- do I get a point if I just pay the $80 (before 30 days)
2- will my insurance rate increase if just pay the $80
3- in case I get 1 point how long it will take that my point be
4- do I need to hire a lawyer?
5- if I choose option b, is there any chance to take this out of my driving record?
(I am 37 years old and never got a ticket before)
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2013
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

How did police officer determine you were speeding?

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you see what I am typing?

Customer:

Hello, Yes I am online. I believe he used a radar gun to determine but I didn't saw him at that moment because he was hiding behind a wooden sign.

Alex J. Esq. :

Can you please tell me if you have any other moving violations on your driving record in the last 3 years?

Customer:

no not on my driving license. (I got a couple of camera tickets which i paid all of them)

Customer:

I meant camera speeding ticket

Alex J. Esq. :

Great.

Alex J. Esq. :

Well, basically you would get 1 point for this speeding violation if you do plead guilty and pay the fine.

Alex J. Esq. :

The point will stay on your driver license for 3 years and can cause your insurance premium to go up with the next renewal, but since it is only 1 point, it should not be significant increase.

Alex J. Esq. :

The best thing to do is to hire a local traffic defense attorney and this attorney should be able to negotiate a plea deal, where you will be able to plead to a reduced offense which doesn't have any points and just pay a small fine.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

yes,

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?

Customer:

what is the chance that the attorney be able to waive the point

Alex J. Esq. :

Extremely high, given the fact that you do not have any moving violations on your license.

Customer:

do you think I need to go to the court too?

Alex J. Esq. :

Generally no

Alex J. Esq. :

Your local attorney should be able to resolve this minor violation without your appearance.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required

Customer:

I will do.

Alex J. Esq. :

Good night and God bless!

Customer:

Good night.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law