How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37834
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My frind got arrested thursday night (09/05/13) and got a DUI. But

This answer was rated:

My frind got arrested thursday night (09/05/13) and got a DUI.
But he is still there because the police passed his case to immigration.
What can we do to help him? Because they don't let anyone to talk to him or give any information a about what is going to happen next.



Good afternoon Cristiano,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you want to help your friend, you can arrange to get them an Immigration attorney and a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible on Monday.

What happens in CA when you are in the country without the appropriate documentation and you are arrested for DUI, you are held in jail until your case is completed in criminal court, and then you are transferred to Immigration where they consider whether to institute deportation proceedings.

The attorneys and investigate the facts and possibly avoid a plea that would result in a conviction and subsequent deportation proceeding.

Hers is an article on this issue that might be of help in understanding the seriousness of this dilemma:

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello doug,

But the point is... He is not ilegal here... He is a studant and his visa is regular and active.
My concern is if they are braking the law for any reason.

Hi Cristiano,

Thank you for the additional information.

So long as he is here legally, then his chances of not being deported are much greater. Bur because he is not a green card holder but here on a student visa, he is still subject to an immigration hold, because conviction of a crime may be grounds for deportation---even if one is here legally with a student visa.

Presently, only seriously crimes typically will qualify for deportation---because the present Administration is very pro-immigrant.

It will still be critical for you to arrange for a criminal defense attorney for your friend, because he will likely remain in jail for longer if there is no representation. The po0lioce however, are not breaking any laws. An Immigration hold is legal for any non-resident foreign national charged with a crime in the US.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you the best in your future,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My last question is : Do you have any immigration attorney to sugest me?

Good evening,

In order to provide a list of immigration attorneys in the area where your friend is, I need to know what city in CA they are incarcerated in, please.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Los angeles , downtown!!

Hi Cristiano,

Here is a link to Immigrations attorneys handling cases in the LA area:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Cristiano . It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

Related Criminal Law Questions