How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was laid off. I left the country on a vacation with my family.

This answer was rated:

I was laid off. I left the country on a vacation with my family. I tried to claim while I was away and couldn't. I called someone in the us and they did it for me. they did it for three weeks. when I returned I checked my account and the claims didn't go through.i called and was asked when I returned from outside of us I said weeks ago. I just received a letter with many questions including who claimed for me. they also want my passport and flight itinerary. I did not receive any benefits while away. i do not want to say who claimed for me. what should i do?

Welcome and thank you for your question I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

I suggest the problem is you have to show that you were actively seeking employment and if you were away after you filed then it may be they are not going to give you the benefits.

Also they want to see the itinerary to show that you returned or were in the country as you say you were.

This is unfortunate, because if you continue you could be charged with fraud in some manner.

I suggest you can just tell them you are not interested in filing the claim - or ignore the letter and since you received no money, they will go away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am most concerned about telling them the person who claim for me.i wont do it. i told them on the phone i was away for a week when in fact i was away for 4 weeks. i am a union member and i would get a phone call for a job. i don't even care about the money for the weeks i was away. i am home now though and haven't got a job. if i fill out the paperwork i will be admitting to lying about the length of the trip and also be admitting to claiming benefits while out of us. I will leave blank the question about who claimed for me?


Tell me again how they know someone else filed on your behalf?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They don't. i am assuming they will ask how i could have claimed being out of the country if i say i did it.


I see. Right and you do not want to lie to them. I suggest you can leave it blank for now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the most important question i need help with is do fill out the form and leave that important(to them) question out or do i ignore the letter?im sure they will send a follow up letter asking again who filed the claim. the letter states if the do receive a response within 7 days a determination will be made based upon available information. what should i do?


As I stated originally, you can just ignore the letter and continue to file

But you are under scrutiny and you will really need to keep track of all the jobs you have been applying for in your profession.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

that is not an issue because i work through a union hiring hall.if i "fess up " now what is the worst case scenario?


The worse case if you dont collect for those weeks that you were not in the country
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

last question.sorry.they have a freeze on all claims . i am home now. i have no idea when i will get a job.based on the info ive given you do you think they will determine something without my input or will they keep a freeze until i respond? what would you do?thanks for your patience and assistance


Ah. If they have already frozen your account then you will need to answer the questions fully and honestly to get it undone and back on track.

I cannot tell you to lie about anything. I hope you understand that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

maybe i will stall for this first letter and see what happens. i am not interested in lying ,but not telling them the persons name who filed for me will probably be a problem that i don't know how get around aside from just telling them that i wont tell them. all this being said the punishment for misrepresenting maybe a 12 month freeze on benefits anyway.


Yes. And even if you tell they could still freeze the benefits.
Samuel II and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you