Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

POLICE OFFICER IDENTIFIED AND POTRAYIED HIMSELF AS FEDERAL

Customer Question

POLICE OFFICER IDENTIFIED AND POTRAYIED HIMSELF AS FEDERAL AGENT IN PRESEANCE OF OTHER DEPUTIES WHILE MAKING AN ARREST DURING A TRAFFIC VIOLATION
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - thank you for requesting me. I'll be glad to assist.

Under 18 USC § 912 (Officer or employee of the United States), the law says it is a federal offense to impersonate a federal agent/officer and carries fines and up to 3 years in prison.

Here's the US Code section:

"Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/912

There is no special provision that would give a local police officer the authority or right to impersonate a federal agent/officer. Thus, this officer could face prosecution for doing this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got the same info from wiki ,i expected a better answer

Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

I thought your initial question was whether or not this is illegal, and it appears under the statute provided that it is. I'm not really sure what else I could add based on your question except that if you want to proceed with charging the person, you would need to contact your local US Attorney's office (I don't know where you are in Mississippi, but there are offices in Greenville, Oxford, Jackson and Gulfport) and report the action and ask them to investigate the matter and charge this person.

If you have any other questions regarding this, I'll be glad to respond. Just let me know.