How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend couldnt not make it to court due to no transportation.

This answer was rated:

My friend couldn't not make it to court due to no transportation. Her public defender has not returned any of her calls and has not worked with her to straighten out the situation. It has been two months since her original court date and she doesn't know what to do and is scared over the situation. What should she do?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your friend's situation. If someone does not make it to a court date, then often the Judge will issue a warrant for their arrest so if they are picked up, they will be held until the next hearing unless they convince the Judge to allow them to bond out before it (again, if they have already bonded out once).

What your friend has to first do is to call any bail bondsman in the county that she is in, to see (1) if there is a warrant out for her arrest and (2) if it is quashable.

See here.

1) If there is a warrant but if it is quashable (ask the bail bondman), a payment may be put down, and a new date would be issued by the Court that she can go to.

2) If there is a warrant and it is not quashable, she may have to surrender herself to the authorities, and then the Judge may allow her to bond out, or otherwise she'd have to await the next hearing while incarcerated.

3) If there is no warrant, then she can call the Court tomorrow during business hours to see when her next court date is. If not sure of the court's number, please tell me what court it is and I can possibly provide it.

Good luck!

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you