Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I am looking for advice for a friend who was arrested at the

airport for unknown possession of...
I am looking for advice for a friend who was arrested at the airport for unknown possession of drugs. Another traveler chatted him up while he waited for his plane to board and asked him to mail a package he was told held letters, gifts to his wife and kids. My friend was detained and is now being held in a foreign jail without being processed. They want bribe money to let him go or they say they will charge him and he will be extradited. I am not sure how I can help.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/3/2013
Ely, Counselor at Law
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your friend's situation. Can you please tell me:

1) How do you know this friend - did you meet them online, or do you actually know them in person?

2) What is their nationality?

3) What country are they being held in?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

1) This person is my boyfriend. I know him in person extensively.

2) His nationality is South African. But he is a US Citizen. He became one around 2008-2009.

3) He is being held in Manila Phillipines.

3) He is being held in Manila Philippines.

Thank you, friend. I have to restart my computer (dang Windows updates) and will reply as soon as it restarts, which should be within 10 minutes. Just an FYI so you do not think I have abandoned you. Apologies in advance for the momentary wait. No need to reply to this communique.
Friend,

Apologies for the wait.

I am not sure how I can help.

What you may wish to do is to contact the US Embassy on his behalf and let them know what is happening. Any citizen held may have their consulate officer visit them. The US may not even know that he has been arrested. You may contact the US Embassy in the Philippines here.

The consular officer can do little but they can ensure that he is not being mistreated and their visit may often serve as a vehicle for the authorities to get worried if the charges are fraudulent and let him go.

If he is still not let go, an English-speaking attorney may be contacted on his behalf who can help with the matter. See here for list of English-speaking attorneys (provided by UK).

Aside from that, there is little that you can personally do, but these two things are likely to VERY MUCH help resolve the matter.

Good luck.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely, Counselor at Law

Thank you. I am in contact with some of our friends in the Philippines and I will relay the message. I will also contact the US Embassy and alert them to his arrest. I appreciate the information.

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to rate my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please REPLY to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.
Ely, Counselor at Law