How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118133
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has violated his parole. He was deported to Dominican Republic in 2011 and has

This answer was rated:

My husband has violated his parole. He was deported to Dominican Republic in 2011 and has recently re-entered the United States and is serving a 12 month sentence for re-entry.He has a parole detainer in New Jersey. How can we get his current sentence to run concurrent with parole violation?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Is the NJ charge a state law violation? The illegal entry is a federal violation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes the NJ charge was a state violation

Thank you for your response.

Because there is a state charge and a federal charge, the federal court will not agree to run their sentence concurrently. What you have to do is that your husband or his attorney has to file a motion in the NJ court where he was sentenced to ask the NJ court to run his probation violation sentence concurrently with the federal sentence to allow his deportation upon completing his sentence for unlawful entry and to allow him to leave the country. The NJ court does have the jurisdiction and authority to agree to allow the probation violation sentence to run at the same time as his federal sentence, but the only way they will do so is for good cause, so you have to use his leaving the country to comply with the law upon completion of his federal sentence.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we currently do not have a lawyer, can you recommand what type of lawyer we should get or one in that works in bergen county New Jersey

Thank you for your response.

You need a criminal defense attorney in NJ. I do have to apologize but the site rules and state laws forbid us from making personal referrals to customers of this site, so the best we area allowed to do by law is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys,, or to locate a local criminal defense attorney to represent him on the motion.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you