How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26738
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cant afford an attorney and I just got my 2nd DUI. I cant

This answer was rated:

I can't afford an attorney and I just got my 2nd DUI. I can't afford to go to jail, I'll lose my job, apartment, truck and possibly the 50% custody of my son. Is there a work release/community service option instead of jail time?
Hello Jacustomer,

Please used the reply tab below to tell me what US state you live in so that I can check into your state's laws and the options you'll have on a second DUI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jacustomer,

Thanks for the follow up. You will need to get yourself a lawyer, because as you probably know, the minimum penalty for a 2nd California DUI if it's within 10 years of the first is 90 days in jail.

That said, unless the facts and circumstances of your case or your criminal record are particularly awful, a lawyer may be able to negotiate house arrest for you, which would fulfill the statutory requirement by curtailing your liberty but would still allow you to go to work and meet your most basic obligations.
Zoey_ JD and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you