How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20296
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are possible charges for check fraud in the amount of

This answer was rated:

What are possible charges for check fraud in the amount of 600 i stole checks from 2 friends and signed them , put them in my girlfriends acct she gave me her card and pin but didnt know iwhat i was doing i have 1 year of probation left for something else i have not made a statement yetthe police say it could be 3 or 4 felonies i lost my job and used the money from this for prescription painpills what should i do next

Thank you for the information and your question. Forgery, which is what you described, is considered a Class H felony in Wisconsin and is punishable by up to 6 years in prison and fines of $10,000. So, technically, you could be charged with a separate felony count for each check you took and forged. You could also be charged with fraud for writing the check to whoever you wrote it to, which could be charged as a felony or a misdemeanor.

So, if you are still on probation, you will likely be arrested for violation of probation since one of the requirements is to refrain from breaking the law. At this point, you should definitely sit down with a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Until you have an attorney you should not make any statements to anybody, whether the police or anyone else other than your attorney, about the facts of this case. It is up to the State to prove each and every element of the charges and you don't want to help them do that. So, if you are arrested or asked for an interview, you should invoke your right to remain silent and speak to an attorney as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any specific follow up questions. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my po officer will want a statement from me tomotrow should i tell her about my addiction or anything about the checks?
Hello again and thank you for the follow up. Again, I would strongly urge you not to make any statement, including to your PO officer. Those statements will be used against you to prove the underlying crime and you don't want that. You are going to have your probation violated anyway and are under no duty to incriminate yourself. You simply should invoke your right to remain silent and let your attorney handle things from there on out. Nothing you can say to your PO is going to make the situation better. That though, is up to you. I can only tell you what your attorney would tell you and the consequences of admitting to this will be. You don't want to lie either, just don't make a statement about it.

If you have an addiction, then your attorney can use that as mitigation for any potential punishment you might face.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i cannot afford an attorney at what point will the courts appoint one for me after i am charged or when i am arrested for pribation violation thank you
Alright, after you are arrested, when you have your first court appearance you will let the court (judge) know that you cannot afford and attorney and they will appoint a public defender for you at that point. So, until then you really want to try not to say anything at all about the facts, your motivations, or anything related to these checks.
Marsha411JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you