How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118248
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Police cars 4 of them surrounded my grandson and pulled a gun

This answer was rated:

Police cars 4 of them surrounded my grandson and pulled a gun on him for what they say was failure to pull over when they said he was warned with flashing lights in window of an unmarked black van with no uniform in sight. He was not stopped by radar, nor was he drinking, or on drugs or any prior anything except ticket for crossing a double yellow line last month. Paul is on SSI for brain damage related issues, ADD and dyslexia which the police guy ridiculed him about. He called Paul a liar when he told them he never had any arrests or drug issues. Paul was read his rights handcuffed but then let go with what the cop says was a large fine for a ticket and has to appear on September 30th for court. Who do we contact to complain about this egregious act?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The first step in reporting improper police conduct is the department's Internal Affairs Division. They are the ones who investigate police misconduct and abuse.

Second, if he did not know and had no way of knowing that their vehicle was actually a police vehicle, then any citation for failure to pull over or yield to an emergency vehicle would not be able to be proven in court. Thus, he needs to go to court and plead not guilty and he needs to go to trial and show they were not in a properly marked police vehicle, but in an unmarked van with only a flashing light and no uniforms and this would be reasonable doubt that he did not intentionally failure to yield or stop for the emergency vehicle. He is entitled to an attorney so he should get one or get the public defender to represent him on this matter in court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you