Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I live in atlanta ga...I want to get my gun carry permit but

Customer Question

I live in atlanta ga...I want to get my gun carry permit but 15 years ago I was convicted on a non violent felony charge... I went to jail for a year....the crime was done in the state of nc....I haven't been in trouble since. And I have been voting in the state of ga ever since. Can I get this
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

No, unfortunately not.

JD 1992 :

Federal law prevents anyone who has been convicted of a felony from owning, possessing, using, etc. a firearm.

JD 1992 :

The only way you would be able to get the right under federal law to have a firearm, regardless of the state law, would be for you to apply to the Governor of NC for a pardon and be approved.

JD 1992 :

I've answered a similar question a number of times on this site for others and they almost always come back and ask about something they read on the internet later that says you can apply to the Justice Department for the right to own a firearm.

JD 1992 :

However, what the people posting this on the internet don't bother to research is that while there is a provision in the law that allows someone to make the application, Congress has never funded the program that would allow the Justice Department to actually review the applications and rule on them. Therefore, while several thousand applications have been sent in, none have ever been reviewed and thus never approved or denied. They just sit there in limbo.

JD 1992 :

It is not expected that Congress will ever fund this program and therefore the only method you have of getting the right to own a gun back is that of applying for a pardon and being approved.