How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118172
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am trying to help a friend of mine, Andray Pope. He

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am trying to help a friend of mine, Andray Pope. He has been in Jefferson County Jail since January 2012. At first it was Parole Violation. Then, his girl friend accused him of attempted murder. The grand Jury was hung and the case dismissed. But, the Judge is still holding him. This same girl then said he had attempted to rob her friend.
this same woman has went to Chilton County and accused him of murder although she was arrested for the crime. Her bond was $180,000. But, she was released because she agreed to testify against Andra. We have a lot of witnesses who saw Andray at home on December 24, 2011 when this crime was suppose to have taken place. He has told the Judge in Clanton and he has told the Judge here in Birmingham he is not guilty even though both Judges want him to enter a guilty plea. His trail in Chilton County is September 30th. He has a court appointed attorney but she is not a criminal attorney and has not been of any help. This family does not have any money. His only support is his Mother who lives on Disability and is raising 3 grandchildren for her daughter. Is there any law firm that does pro bono work or a Public Defender. Andray is so scared when he goes to trial that he will be sent to prison for a crime he did not commit here in Birmingham or Clanton. Thank you for any help you are able to offer.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Your only chance here is you are going to have to have him file a motion in court for a new PD based on ineffective assistance of counsel and he has to explain to the judge that his attorney is not a criminal defense attorney and he wants one who is experienced in criminal law. Also, he should NOT plead guilty to anything and if he is wrongfully convicted, the fact he had an attorney who did not properly represent him is grounds for appeal and to vacate any conviction and it is called "ineffective assistance of counsel."

Those witnesses who can attest to Andray being home need to show up in court and testify on his behalf and with that information it should be enough to get him found not guilty if this goes to court.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, you did give me some answers and I did give you a rating.

The one question you did not answer was how do I find a Public Depender

or an attorney that does pro bono work.

Thank you,


Thank you for your response. The public defender's office is located in the court building where his case was heard or is set to be heard.

Also, you can call the Alabama bar association and ask for the pro bono attorneys who handle murder cases as there is a small specialty of attorneys who assist on life in prison or capital cases.