Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do i go about filing sexual abuse charges in michigan years

after the abuse occured? I...
How do i go about filing sexual abuse charges in michigan years after the abuse occured? I am 32 now. My stepfather sexually abused me from 7 to 10. my mother went to the police and i believe he was arrested at the time. Since i couldnt talk about it then, i dont think any charges were ever filed. I have suffered from ptsd for years and have finally gotten help. Im not looking for money, just justice and a way
to finally have my voice back.
8/31/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. The short answer is to go to the police. Despite what is depicted in television and movies, individuals do not file criminal charges or "press charges". Law enforcement agencies alone have the discretion to unleash the criminal justice powers of the state against someone. You need to go to the police and ask them to open a criminal investigation. The statute of limitations for sexual conduct or assault against a minor does not necessarily start when the conduct or assault takes place, so it is not necessarily too late for the culprit to be prosecuted even if the victim is 32 years of age and the crime was committed 25 years ago. Talk to the police.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law