How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26807
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the penalty for buying an Idaho fishing liscense when

This answer was rated:

What is the penalty for buying an Idaho fishing liscense when you are a resident of Washington, (not buying an out of state license)
Hi Jacustomer,

Providing false information on a government application form is a form of perjury. In Idaho it would be a misdemeanor and it would have a maximum jail possibility of 6 months and/or a fine of up to $1,000.

Here's the statute:

18-5413. Providing false information to law enforcement officers, government agencies, or specified professionals.

(1) A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if he knowingly gives or causes to be given false information to any law enforcement officer, any state or local government agency or personnel, or to any person licensed in this state to practice social work, psychology or counseling, concerning the commission of an offense, knowing that the offense did not occur or knowing that he has no information relating to the offense or danger.

(2) A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if he knowingly gives or causes to be given false information regarding his or another's identity to any law enforcement officer investigating the commission of an offense.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband was a Washington state resident "on paper" as that was how our CPA was filing our taxes. I live in Idaho, we own a house here. The Idaho state tax commission audited us and sicced the Dept of Fish and gAme when they found out he'd bought a Idaho license and was technically an WA resident. Anyways what is his best defense???


His defense would be that he didn't intend to defraud the state of Idaho because he has a residence in Idaho in which he actually lives.

But he ought to change his residency over, because he can't pay his taxes to Washington state if 1) he's really not living there and 2) he's looking for entitlements where he actually does live while denying taxes to the state as well.

If this ends up in court or in an adminstrative hearing, he'll need a lawyer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Violation DateChargeCitationDegreeDisposition
05/02/2010I36-405(C)1 F/G-Hunt, Fish or Trap-Buy or Possess Wrong Class or Type of License
Officer: Soumas 120, Rob, 5000

Pending hearings:Date/TimeJudgeHearing Type
08/30/2013 9:00 AMQuentin F. HardenArraignment/Pre-Trial

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, so do we need a lawyer for this arraignment/ Pretrial?? he has court date today and he's panicking!!!


Okay. So they charged him with the misdemeanor under the fish and game code rather than the penal law, but in both instances theser are misdmeanors.

While he doesn't strictly speaking need a lawyer today for this case, it may have potential negative ramifications for him, given that this was flagged in an audit and he's paying taxes where he's not living.

That's not before the judge, but anything he says in court resolving this could be an admission regarding the tax issue. So if he has to go in today, he can plead not guilty and ask for the opportunity to get a new date so that he can have a lawyer. The judge should grant that.

This is on the calendar today to find out how he pleads, make him an offer and potentially dispose of the case. The judge basically wants to know if this is going to be an eventual trial case or if he can get it off of his calendar. But as jail time is theoretically possible on a misdmeanor the court should allow him the continuance.

Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions