Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a misdemeanor that has been in expunged in California.

It was for petty theft...
I have a misdemeanor that has been in expunged in California. It was for petty theft over 17 years ago. It was expunged 13 years ago. I am now applying for a job in the office at a school district. Question 1 is what show up on the fingerprint scan and what will it state? and Question 2 Do you think the school district would hire me if it does? Question 3 Do they have the right to inquire of the nature of the dismissed conviction? question 4 I answered no on the application for employment to have you ever been convicted of a crime because I understand in California I can legally do so. Is this correct?
8/30/2013
LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

Can you clarify something first. You use of the phrase "dismissed conviction" is confusing.

Are you saying that you were charged 17 years ago, what is were you convicted of that charge and then later had the conviction expunged? Or was the charge dismissed and you then had the dismissal expunged?

I had the conviction 17 years ago and then later had it expunged

Question 1 is what show up on the fingerprint scan and what will it state?

If it has been expunged nothing should show up when they run your record. Occasionally an expungement is not done properly and comments related to an expunged offense show up when a record is run. If this happens you will need to contact the court that granted the expungement to have the record corrected.

Question 2 Do you think the school district would hire me if it does?

Usually a 17 year old conviction for a minor offense does not by itself bar a person from employment.

Question 3 Do they have the right to inquire of the nature of the dismissed conviction?

Your conviction was not dismissed. It was expunged. Normally you are not required to disclose an offense which has been expunged, for some jobs and licenses such inquiries are permitted.

Question 4 I answered no on the application for employment to have you ever been convicted of a crime because I understand in California I can legally do so. Is this correct?

See answer to question 3. Depending upon the job some employers are allowed to ask information regarding an offense that has been expunged.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

_________________________________________________________________
Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legaleagle1 also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer
LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1
LegalEagle1, Criminal Lawyer