How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nate Your Own Question
Nate, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 10685
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Nate is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is a citizen here in the U.S. but very meek and not

This answer was rated:

My friend is a citizen here in the U.S. but very meek and not vocal. Her husband had her arrested and put in prison for identity theft for using his information to open a charge card in his name. While in prison she ended up on suicide watch. The case was thrown out but now she has this on her record. she has 4 children and one one the way. She lives in VA.. and can't afford an attorney, and has filed a lot of paper work for legal advice. Her husband has moved out and she needs help.
My name isXXXXX have been a licensed attorney for over ten years and will be assisting you today.

What specific kind of help is she in need of?

And when you say the case was "thrown out", was it outright dismissed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes Sir, it was dismissed. She says she has to get the record expunged, even though it never went to court? And that most job applications ask" if you ever been charged with a criminal offense". She would like to go back to work one day and get a job to take care of her kids. And I think her husband may use this mark against her to gain custody of the kids in the future. Since she is limited her knowledge, wants to be more prepared for what may be ahead.

She needs to get it expunged to remove it from the public record. Once it is expunged she can legally answer "no" to any question regarding being charged of a crime. The court clerk where she was charged will have forms to use to submit. The district attorney and the judge will approve the request and then the clerk will destroy the record. Then as far as employers are concerned it never happened.

As it was dismissed it will be of little value to the husband in gaining custody of the children.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answer them. If you do not, please do remember to rate my service in assistance to you today.

Nate and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you