How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116768
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 43 y/o female, dx with bi-polar, ptsd, gad, and depression.

This answer was rated:

I am a 43 y/o female, dx with bi-polar, ptsd, gad, and depression. In the mist of a blackout I took someone else car drove abt 10 miles and when I parked I realized I was not in my car. I called the police, told them what happened and was arrested. I have never been in any trouble what happens next. I am out on bond and report to court tomorrow the 26th.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In order for the prosecutor to convict you for taking the car, he has to prove you intended to permanently deprive the person of the car. With your medical and mental health history, there is no way he can prove intent and the fact you called the police would support that as well. At this point though you need an attorney and if you cannot afford one, you need to get a public defender. You need to get your medical records to your attorney as well as an affidavit from your doctors and the chances are here that the DA will dismiss these charges based on your condition.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions