How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 19 and a junior in college. She works at Sears

This answer was rated:

My daughter is 19 and a junior in college. She works at Sears and made up a fake receipt and made a gift certicate in the amount of 50.00 dollars. Sears called the police and they told her on Thursday July 29 to turn herself in to the police. Do we need to take a lawyer with us? How should she plead? Will this effect her being able to get a job in the future?

Thank you for your assist in this matter.

Cindy Moore

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your questions. Please allow me to answer them in the order that they were presented. If you would like clarification, just let me know.

Brandon M. :

1. Do we need to take a lawyer with us?

A. Yes.

Brandon M. :

2. How should she plead?

A. At this point, she hasn't even been charged and you haven't seen the evidence against your daughter. Until a charge has actually been filed and she has been summoned to court, there would be no plea. Until the evidence can be examined by an attorney, the only plea should be "not guilty" for any given case.

Brandon M. :

3. Will this affect her being able to get a job in the future?

A. Well, it certainly isn't going to help, but approximately 1/3 of adults in the U.S. have at least a misdemeanor on their record, and most of those people are employed, so it isn't likely to derail her entire life. It will sting, but we've even had U.S. Presidents with criminal convictions. The most important thing is that it doesn't happen again.

Brandon M. :

Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thanks, Cindy.

Brandon M. :

Once you are completely finished, please feel free to leave a positive rating (I work for ratings), but I emphasize again, I am very glad to clarify any additional specific concerns that you may have. Thanks.

Customer: Should we take a lawyer with us Thur. or to court or both?
Customer: Are you still there?

I apologize for switching formats. The website experienced a bit of a technical problem.

I recommend contacting a lawyer before Thursday. Even if the lawyer does not go with you, s/he will need to advise you on what to do and say when your daughter turns herself in. Mainly, she is going to want to exercise her right to remain silent. If this is her first offense, it is not at all likely that she will need to actually spend any time in jail, but she will have to post a bond, and a lawyer can help get that set up in advance.


So she will want to have an attorney with her for the first court appearance, and she will want to have at least spoken with a lawyer before turning herself in.

Brandon M. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you