How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27460
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Left the scene of accident and then reported stolen. DUI 5

This answer was rated:

Left the scene of accident and then reported stolen. DUI 5 years prior.
Hello Jacustomer,

Have you spoken with a local criminal lawyer and is he or she going with you to the police? Are you aware that once you make an "official statement" you'll be charged with two crimes and arrested? You will also have made a confession which will keep your lawyer from being able to negotiate a better dispositon or to fight your case if there are grounds to do so.

You have a 5th Amendment right against self incrimination that can NEVER be used against you. The police won't be happy if you cancel your meeting, but doing that can't hurt you. The moment you open your mouth, however, if these are your facts, anything you say can be used against you in court and will!

When you are the suspect of an investigation you never have to talk to the cops, especially here where there's no possibility you can help yourself by talking.

Tell the police you want to bring a lawyer with you and cancel the appointment. Then go look for one. If the lawyer thinks it's a good idea to talk, he'll accompany you.

If the police have enough to arrest you they will. But if they don't, they won't because you won't have confessed.

This is one of the most fundamental of all of your rights that you are about to give up. Reconsider and get a lawyer.
Zoey_ JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you