How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28005
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 10 year old son was accused of a sexual crime, it was reported

This answer was rated:

my 10 year old son was accused of a sexual crime, it was reported to police. about a week after the other parent informed me of the incident, they started adjusting their story of the incident to make it sound worse than what they first told me. What are my options?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The police are going to investigate the matter and gather evidence to try and find out of this sex crime really did occur. Moreover, the police are certainly going to recognize if there are inconsistencies in the story that is being told and if it keeps changing. If they reported one thing to the police and are telling you something different, trying to make it worse, that would need to be investigated as well, to determine why. The parents should have disclosed everything to the police when they reported it and the victim should have been spoken to and counseled as well, to determine the extent of this. If they are now trying to change their story, it is something which may be used as a defense down the road, seeing how they are trying to make this worse then it is and may have some motive. If your son has been accused and no charges have been filed yet, you should try and retain an attorney to represent his legal interest. As the parents of the victim, they may be telling you things which are not true and look to scare you and the child since they are angry about what happened.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I assume the adjusted information that was given to me by the parent the week or so after our first conversation on the matter was actually the information they gave to the police from the start. CPS has already visited with us in our home and recorded some of the conversation she had with my son. A detective has recently contacted me requesting an interview and so I will hire an attorney at this point. I did voice my concerns to the CPS worker about the changes in the other parents story and my desire to hire an attorney, they encouraged me to speak with the police before hiring anyone. At that point I quit returning the calls and texts from the CPS worker because I no longer felt that they had my child's best interests in mind. If no one but me knows the description of the incident has changed, how can I possibly prove it?

Thank you for the additional information. Contrary to what they told you, it is better to hire an attorney and consult with them BEFORE speaking to the police. In a situation like this, where you know what happened, you are going to be crucial to the defense of your son. The police would like to take your statement and this is something which will be used. With that being said, you want to make sure your legal interest is protected and you should have an attorney present when making this statement.
CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you