How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27256
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do you do if a person (ex girlfriend) reports you for

This answer was rated:

What do you do if a person (ex girlfriend) reports you for identity theft and you didn't do anything.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Even though she reported you, an investigation would still need to be conducted. Evidence would have to be gathered and it would need to be determined if there is enough to make an arrest. The case would then be turned over to the State Attorneys office to file and prosecute. If that happens, you will want to retain legal counsel or ask to be appointed the public defender. A demand for discovery will be made and that evidence will be turned over for review. It will be at that time, that you and your attorney can raise any defenses that you may have and fight the case, taking it to trial. The burden is on the State of Florida to prove the charge beyond a reasonable doubt and if it is in fact not true, they may have a hard time doing so. You can certainly testify and you can also call your ex as a witness to testify if she reported you, with the goal to discredit and impeach her credibility. Her mere allegation alone without any evidence to support it should not result in charges being filed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CrimDefense and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir, the only thing I have been told so far is that the Brevard county Sherrifs office detective in general crimes unit called my mother (I'm a 32 yr old man) to find out how to reach me because I don't have a registered number. They said that she filed a complaint in Boca Raton and a identity theft case in Brevard county saying that I have applied for credit cards, loans, and now that I have hacked her amazon account and I am shippin provocative sex toys via her amazon account to her grandmother in Brevard county. I don't even have access to her accounts not have I ever. I'm just a student recently out of the military I don't have a lot of money to hire an attorney. I tried to file a complaint for harassment for te second time today but the judge won't give me a restraining order. Now this. Should I call that detective or call an attorney first?? Please please help me.
If you did nothing wrong, then you should not have a problem calling the detective. If you do so, realize that anything you say will be used in the investigation. There is nothing wrong with cooperating, answering his/her questions and being truthful and honest. Like I said above, her allegations alone are not going to be enough and she is going to have to show you did all this. Just because she thinks it was you when it was really someone else, may not be enough to support and arrest and charge. You have no legal obligation to speak to the police and if you do not, they will proceed with their investigation and did what to do. While you can contact an attorney, they may not go with you to speak with the detective unless you retain them. You mentioned you do not have a lot of money for one, so you should decide if you want to cooperate and answer the questions, since nothing will be linked back to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes sir, that's what my mother said too she just said I should ask first. I don't have any problems answering questions I just don't know how to answer them I guess. Honor courage no problem at all. I just wonder if I should stick with short answers like yes and no or if I should be detailed in my responses. This woman took $8K out of the joint account when she left and I just wrote it off as a loss. It goes much deeper than that of course and I have a chain of emails from her that I never replied to after she left showing that she lied about multiple things so possibly I can use that for integrity purposes of that ever goes that far. I don't even have Internet besides the school computer room. Thank you for all your help sir.

Related Criminal Law Questions