Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

My grandson is to be arraigned on a complaint involving the

My grandson is to be arraigned on a complaint involving the selling of narcotics. I am unaware of the exact circumstances. He is 20. Arraignment is on Tuesday, August 27th in Santa Barbara. What might I expect and how much would it cost to get a lawyer?

Alex J. Esq. :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

Alex J. Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Alex J. Esq. :

Welcome to JustAnswer.com

Alex J. Esq. :

I am sorry to hear about your grandson's unfortunate situation.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know the exact criminal charge that your son is facing?

Customer:

Thank you. I am a little confused. Am I liable for any further money besides the $30.00? No, I don't. They found drugs on him. I am not sure if it was marijuana only or another kind in addition.

Alex J. Esq. :

No.

Alex J. Esq. :

You would only pay $30 once you accept my answer.

Alex J. Esq. :

Do you know if your grandson was charged with felony or a misdemeanor by any chance?

Customer:

Okay. Thanks. I looked up the court calendar and it says- arrested on a complaint or something to that effect. His mom said the officers found an amount of marijuana more than an ounce. He is hard to talk to.

Alex J. Esq. :

I understand.

Customer:

By reading the info online, it seems to be a felony, but, I don't know what it will be until the court date, I guess.

Alex J. Esq. :

It is likely that your grandson was charged with a felony possession with an intent to distribute the drugs.

Alex J. Esq. :

Unfortunately. this is a serious situation.

Customer:

Sadly, I think that is true.

Alex J. Esq. :

Arraignment simply means that your grandson will have to plead guilty or not guilty to the criminal charge and then a bond would be established for your grandson.

Customer:

What is the usual punishment for this type of crime?

Customer:

Why do people plead not guilty when they are.

Alex J. Esq. :

It is difficult to estimate what any specific private criminal defense attorney would charge to represent your grandson, as each attorney set their own legal fees rate, but it can be $10,000 or more.

Alex J. Esq. :

Every suspect is presumed innocent, until proven guilty, so it is up to the state or federal prosecutor to prove guilt.

Alex J. Esq. :

Most people would plead not guilty and then their attorneys might be able to negotiate a plea deal, so they can plead guilty to a lesser charge or receive a reduced sentence.

Customer:

I see. Kind of forgot that. I thought perhaps it gave the court some latitude in sentencing or something.

Alex J. Esq. :

Does this make sense?

Customer:

How could a lawyer help the situation?

Alex J. Esq. :

You can find an experienced local criminal defense attorney for your grandson by using this well trusted and reliable attorney information / referral websites:

www.martindale.com

www.lexmundi.com

www.lawyers.com

www.justia.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.

Customer:

Oops, already answered that. Thank you. Could you refer me to an attorney in the area of Santa Barbara?

Customer:

Thanks very much for your help.

Alex J. Esq. :

An experienced local criminal defense attorney can help protect your grandson's legal rights and fight for his freedom.

Alex J. Esq. :

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "Excellent Service" feedback, so I can receive credit for my answer.

Bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, but are not required.

Customer:

I will and thanks again.