How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102597
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a business owner. Over the past year, while employed

This answer was rated:

I am a business owner. Over the past year, while employed by me, my daughter has forged checks to pay for a drug habit. She went to inpatient rehab at Shick Shadle and is drug free. She is still working for me. The amount is nearly $60,000. The police had not been contacted, because I don't need the negative publicity in the newspaper over this....we are in a smaller community. I realize when it becomes time to file my taxes and show the loss, I will need proof of her actions, besides the cancelled checks. Can I contact police to take a report and not file charges, or will charges automatically be filed?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

If you contact the police and make a report, the police will automatically investigate. This is what a report is for. One cannot simply file a report but request not action. Once the police investigate, they then report to the prosecutor that makes a decision on whether or not to prosecute. This is the prosecutor's decision, not yours. Much in the very same way that battered women often object to the prosecution of the one who hurt them, the prosecutor can press on with the charges even over your objection. This is because it is the state that brings the case against the Defendant, not the complaining witness (i.e. you).

Ergo, if you file this with the police, it may very well set in motion events that would culminate in her being charged with a crime. I am sorry.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Ely and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you